"How many people ask you to come share their life?"
- Janet Fitch; Astrid from White Oleander, 1999.
This book is inching it's way up my favorites list. It might just end up on the top and be called My Favorite Book. *gasp*
Traditionally, I don't have favorite books, Mainly because it's just so hard to choose from among them which is why the prospect of having a Favorite book is something that is near milestone in importance.
Anyway, this is the second time I've read White Oleander, it was a present from K for Christmas 2007. We share a love for great books. It was written by Janet Fitch. [If you could recommend any other book by this author that is worth the read, comment!]
The characters are very vivid especially that of Astrid. It's about a dysfunctional mother-child relationship. One between a poet mother and a visual artist of a daughter. The mother kills one of her lovers and Astrid goes through the system of foster care that's where it begins.
I love the way the author uses words in this book. The metaphors and the rawness of emotion is balanced very well. The misadventures of Astrid and the reality of how human beings relate to someone not of their own reinforces the idea that you are all you can depend on. The moment you find another to be your co-captain in life you are one of the blessed few.
This book always seems to give me my fighting spirit back. I mean I haven't been shot, starved or have scavenged, her spirit didn't break despite all that and she found her way, perhaps so can I. It also assures me that it'll be okay no matter what.
It's still your life, even when you're not in control. It's what you choose to do at that moment that matters.
Oh and lastly, I can relate to the mother daughter dynamic. Since, I think that's my biggest struggle currently.







0 comments:
Post a Comment