Monday, April 19, 2010

Misadventures: Getting Lost

I've lived in Baguio nearly all my life. [So, don't blame me if I'm itching to leave. *sighs*

Anyhow, I've always had a good sense of direction and I think I knew this town like the back of my hand. Thing is a few days ago on my way home, I got lost. *laughs* Funny isn't it? Thank you for the surprise, Baguio.

Apparently, there are now two sets of jeeps marked with the general area of my house. One set misses my road and brings you to the middle of nowhere. The other set passes by my road and directly in front of my house. I rode the wrong jeep.

At first it was fine, I mean they will pass close to my house on the way back. So, I decided to wait out my ride. I was looking about and started marking where I was. [Me to myself: This is good, you know that house. This is Furguson. Everything's fine.] After convincing myself I wasn't lost, the jeep hit a dirt road. That's when I finally admitted, I was frickin' lost.

When the jeep stopped, I was atop a cliff. I am thankful though that the driver didn't force me out of his jeep and make me walk. He took me back to a street parallel to my house. [Thank you, Manong Driver. I appreciate it.]

Truth be told, I love getting lost. You experience a place differently cause you don't have a guide or a preliminary impression on the place. Plus, the adrenaline and nervousness make for an interesting combination. This is what first explorers felt and novelty of that feeling is rarely felt nowadays. I actually love that feeling, and that's why I'm inclined to travel and get lost more often. [It's how I got around and discovered places in Metro Manila and gained confidence as a commuter. Moreover, a jeepney strike is a commuter's adventure scheduled.]

I got home after an hour of my impromptu adventure. At least now I know what's at the end of the trail. Haha.

0 comments: