Monday, March 29, 2010

Doormats and Snakes

"You're only a doormat if you feel like one."

Here comes the reason why I haven't paid much attention to my online life. I had a job. Yes, you read that right. It's in the past tense.

I worked from January to March. I didn't even have to finish the entire month of March.

Before I go to the resignation [Yes, I resigned. I am very good at what I do and I absolutely will not allow myself to be fired]and why it happened, I want to first look back on the good things.

I was in the field of Human Resources, the career I really want and plan to pursue. I was really glad I got this job. It was a start up company, and I got to sink my teeth into it. Develop, test, evaluate and implement what I learned from school and from my own research. I was excited and I wanted to give no less than a 110%.

The company is basically an outbound contact center. I first want to say that I loved the people I met there. I learned so much about the realities of working in the corporate world. I'm happy I met them and got to stay with them in this crossroad in time. I got to love the field I committed to more because of them. I like to help people. I like to know more about them and give them the best the company can offer so that they can be the best at what they do. It's a philosophy I hold and it works both for the company and the employees.

Then why did I resign? It's because there are things I stand for.

An excerpt from my notice:

"Again, I would like to thank you for everything. Despite my short engagement with *company* I have learned more about myself. What I’m willing to stand for and what principles I am not willing to compromise and these I believe is one of the best things about this experience. I am thankful for all the people I have met in this company and have worked with for I know they are good people. I pray that God bless you and your endeavors despite us going separate ways."

It's hard to implement something right if the people at the top of the ladder refuse to do so [and maybe they also have no respect for what the Philippine Law affords its people. You are not in your own country. Respect our soil by respecting our Laws]. Moreover I was placed at risk. My name and my reputation was place on the stake. [If you think this is overacting, it's not. I could go to jail with what they had me do.] If that wasn't enough, backstabbing was going on. Imagine this, I was working for the position I held and then I find out that I was seemingly demoted behind my back? This new girl comes in and acts all over me like she was better. [You're a frickin agent in you last job for frickin' sake] 

The thing I hated the most was that they kept rubbing it in that I was young. The thing is education levels out experience nowadays. It was fun watching the new girl sink into my shoes after my resignation. She even had to ask me when the deadlines of the government agencies were. If she was oh so experience, she should know that already. I ask, where's your years of experience now? And how dare you talk to me as if I have done nothing for this company. You snaked your last company by copying its guidebook. I may be evil at some points in my life but I won't go as far as hurting others on purpose.

Yes, I am frustrated, insulted and very much hurt. Then again, what should I expect there was a lack in integrity of word.

Truth be told, when I submitted my resignation letter I was ultimately at peace, because I was standing up for me. I just feel sorry for the people that I can no longer protect. For that, I am sorry but I can no longer lie for a company that doesn't bother to pay right either.

This was a learning experience and I am still grateful for it. Doormats are stepped on to get your feet clean. I refuse to be a doormat. I know I am far better than that. As for snakes, they are everywhere but I remember I am much bigger than them. I am not afraid to do what's right and to have some self respect.

Of course, I protected myself. I had them amend everything they did wrong in my name. Otherwise, I would have gone to the authorities. I also took everything that is rightfully mine. If they fulfilled thier part of the bargain, I don't know. I'll let karma, God and the basic laws of the universe do what it wills. I know there is better for me.

This is where I close the chapter of that first job and I take the good things with me and leave snakes and doormats behind.

0 comments: