Saturday, July 17, 2010

Commuter's Thoughts 1: Lolo

Since, I spend about a good two hours on jeeps as my daily routine. Despite my having music pumping into my system during those times, I still seem to reach a point where my mind would be composing photographs. [Yes, I need a camera again soon.] According to popular belief, photographs probably better express what words would not be able to convey accurately. [This doesn't deter me from trying though.]

Anyway, about two days ago, I was riding the jeep on my way to work. As usual, everyone was in a hurry. Upon reaching the general Ortigas Area, a bunch of the commuters got off. An old man, sad beside me. He was in a white polo, slacks and old leather shoes. He had a paper bag with him, filled with a couple of DVDs and a pen attached to a booklet. [Detailed isn't it? Yes, I was composing a photograph. *belat*

Then this lolo [what we generally call old men in our country relatively as a sign of respect] pulled out the booklet which was apparently filled crossword puzzles. As I watched him complete two puzzles with great accuracy, I couldn't help but admire this lolo. He just made me realize a few things: 1) I suck at crosswords, 2) this lolo was one smart man, [at the speed he completed the puzzles, I commend him] and 3) there is this sense of serenity in what he was doing. He smiles after accomplishing a puzzle.

He can do that in the middle of all this:




I say serenity because in this city where moving fast and being in a hurry is part of the lifestyle. There is a man that has the time to ignore all that finish a puzzle and show a girl like me that life isn't all about getting to work. I saw that there are still simple pleasures in life. [Imagine that?] 

As he left the jeep, I thought to myself that someday, I would like to pause in the middle of it all and stop worrying about getting to point B and doing something fulfilling along the way as well.

0 comments: